Wednesday, June 28, 2006

TIME


This world has gone mad, it did, seriously. Maybe not the whole world but certainly most of the Iraqi people have gone mad, especially the government. The minister of commerce threatened to sever the diplomatic relations and to cancel contracts for buying wheat from Australia because the Australians shot, by mistake, one of his bodyguards, who were also his relative. Its funny isn't it? I mean think about it. I'm not talking about that poor guy's death, because that's not funny at all. What I'm talking about is how this man, the minister, thinks that this ministry is his own, like he inherited it from his father or grandfather, he is talking about canceling contracts for buying wheat, and for those of you who don’t know, we make bread out of wheat, and we eat bread,breadd is very essential, that means for the death of his relative he is ready to starve the Iraqi people. Isn't that funny? Bear with me a little, ill get to the point right away, but first I want to tell you another story, not a very long time ago, maybe a year ago, Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations raised hell because one of his family was killed by the Americans. He demanded a full and immediate investigation of the incident, and demanded also to pursue legal actions against the people who killed his cousin. He demanded that they be tried for their crime and receive a fair punishment for the atrocity they have committed.
This is so funny it that it made me cry my eyes out. You know why? It's because none of these guys said a word about the people, innocent people, who were brutally murdered in Haditha. Not a single word and not a single objection. And why? God knows why, and I bet even god doesn't know why those guys didn't say a word. I didn't hear the minister of commerce threaten to sever the diplomatic relations with America and cancel the deals to buy American wheat, I didn't hear that the Iraqi ambassador to the United Nations filed any complaints to the security council when those people were murdered like he did when his cousin was. And by the way that was a first in the United Nations history. Its funny how we let other people fight our battles. It was Times magazine which published the story first, it was the American public who reacted to story first, it was the American press who stormed the white with questions, and what did our government do? They were the last to say anything, like those peopl weren't Iraqis at all, I bet if they were aliens who came from another galaxy, the Iraqi government would have shown a lot more interest in the subject. Old people, some women and couple or more children were murdered Mr. Primerime minister. Who killed them? He asks, Zarqawi? No sir. Saddam? No sir. Insurgents? No sir. Then who god damn it? The Americans sir. NO WAY, the Americans don't kill nobody. But sir they were executed. Ahh, see what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the Iraqis sir. NO WAY. Yes sir, Time magazine published the story. Well my son, if they were Shiite I'm going to make these American assholes wish they were never born. No sir, they were Sunnis. Well son, they probably had it coming on themselves.
I just want to ask the Iraqi government and whoever has the audacity to support and defend the men who murdered those people, just this one thing, why does a 4-year old boy have to die? Anyone? Somebody please explain to me why do I have a dead 4-year old boy? What sense does it make? What purpose does it serve? How would you feel if I came to your house and killed your son? What would you call me? Murderer? Terrorist? But when YOU come into MY house, and kill MY women, and MY wheel-chaired father, and MY 4-YEAR OLD SON, then they are all just COLLATERAL DAMAGE. Collateral fuckin damage. Have you no respect? Have you any respect?
When a guy sings a song about using a little girl as a human shield you call him talented, and you call the people who felt offended by the song trouble-makers. Talented? Are you kidding me? I have been listening to music all my life, I love music, I love rock, but to call that talented is just a disgrace to music. And to say that lyrics are "funny" is just plain stupid, and forgive me for saying that, but whoever laughs to those lyrics is just stupid too. What has gotten into you? If you don't believe that there are people who think this guy is talented, just Google the song, I did that myself, and I found this blog, where this girl says that she is sick and tired on the Muslims in America because they protested against that song and the guy who wrote the song, and she calls the guy talented. I mean seriously, leaving all emotions and biases aside, were they serious? Does he really think its funny? Please, if anybody listened to the song and found anything funny about it, please please please explain it to me, cause maybe I'm just stupid or my English is not that good to understand the catch.
Moving on. Prime minister wants reconciliation. AT LAST, it's a good step; actually it's a great step. Although I had doubts about him but it seems the man is meaning well, and he is trying to prove that he means well. This should have happened 3 years ago, it would have saved us a lot lives, and we would have had a lot less blood. But you know what they say, better late than never. One thing though, if he wants to exclude the baathists, the saddamists, and Zarqawi followers, who would be left? I mean those people are the backbone of the resistance or insurgency, whatever you want to call it. He wants to review the debaathification policy, which is a great thing. A lot of the intellectuals Iraq are baathists, and many of them were forced to join baath party, and many of them have white hands. In fact many of them have whiter hands than those who threw them and posses power now. And those were the people running the country, and if you ask me they did a much better job than the new guys. I'm speaking skill-wise, not to be mistaken for a saddamist. Another great thing is that he wants to dissolve all militias, including his own party's. I wish all people be included in this process of reconciliation, except those whose hands are stained with Iraqi blood. I wish all of those criminals face fair trail, and get their fair sentence. Would it work? I certainly hope so.
I did not want to write about the reconciliation, but I did. I wanted to leave it to another tim, but I didn't, I drifted from the main topic. I wanted to talk about the indifference when it comes to Iraqis being killed, especially from thier government. I guess I said something, and I'm sorry if I used some language, but that is just the way I feel. Sorry again.
Last but not least, they say time heals all wounds, but it seems that every day my countries wounds just get deeper and deeper, sometimes but its own people, and sometimes by the hands of other people. Time is slipping away, and it maybe something that we don't have. That reminds me of a poem I once read
"But at my back I always hear
Time's winged chariots hurrying near"
I don't remember where I read it, or who said it, and maybe its not relevant, but anyway, its nice. Enjoy.
And buy the way, good luck for Argentina in the world cup. I'm a big fan. If there is any Argentineans reading this, I'm with you guys, all the way to the cup. This is just a blessing, during these 2 hours we forget about everything else, even me, the pessimistic, sarcastic, depressed, and desperate Iraqi, and in shorter, your typical Iraqi. In college I used to smile a lot and at anyone, some people even hated me for smiling a lot, my girlfriend hated it and thought I was crazy, I was just satisfied with my life, and had big prospect for my future. They were some happy times, good old times. Long gone though. Anyway its 4:00 am and I should go to sleep.
Good night and God bless all.

1 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger jae said...

Here in the US the news reports are limited to the phrases 'the insurgents' and the 'coalition forces'....it's all downplayed and even sometimes hidden between bigger and more elaborate stories about the latest celebrity divorce. It's disgusting.

I read this today (http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0628-20.htm) and thought of you, and when I came here and saw what you'd written, it made me feel like I at least know the truth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home